THE UNSEEN EP.3

It’s Monday morning and it’s my birthday. I heard a light knock on my door, I knew it was either my mum or my dad. I deleted yesterday’s event from my memory, it’s a great day today and it won’t be a good thing starting my birthday with a fight.

I went to the door but what I saw choked the life out of me. I had to close my door and open to see if I’m not imagining things but the two fighters were still there with cake in my mother’s hand and my dad smiling like he just won a lotto.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! They both screamed

My jaw dropped like I don’t know what to say. I was just there speechless looking like a Jonah that is about to get swallowed by the shark.

Then I remembered it’s first of April. What a great day to give birth to me I muttered to myself.

Mum, Dad, I know you two didn’t plan it well before choosing this date to birth me but I won’t let you two make a fool out of me okay. I collected the cake from them and motioned back to my bed. How do they know I was so hungry for cake I said to myself? I took a little out of the cake and ate.

Hmm! It tastes good. Thanks I said.

I noticed their countenance changed after what I said.

Jade, my dad calls. I know we’ve hurt you so bad and we are really sorry and NO we are not here to make a fool out of you neither is this a script that is being acted but this is real jade. After what happened this weekend, I and your mother discussed so many things, we’ve come to realize how much this our differences affects you. Now, we are here to promise you that nothing of such will ever happen again. I want us to live as one happy family jade.

I felt tears gushing out of my eyes. I quickly ran out of my bed and hugged my parents. I LOVE YOU I told them. After the emotional scene, we pulled out of the emotional hug.

What do you want as a birthday present? My mum asked

This is the best birthday present ever, I replied. They both smiled and walk out of my room. Start preparing for school my mum screamed.

Okay mama I said and smiled. This is the time I wish its weekend. I looked back at my cake and smiled.

Why didn’t they settle whatever issues they had on time? See what they made me miss, Ugly oldies I cursed under my breath. I hurried to the bathroom and started preparing for school so I won’t be late

I made it to school before the assembly started, I quickly dropped my bag and rushed down to the assembly ground. I bumped into Vena. Vena has been my friend from grade one. I’m not the type that makes friend but Vena is just wonderful, beautiful and has a good heart. Despite the fact that I push her away sometimes, she still considered me has a friend and always got my back. I always wonder what I did to deserve her.

Hmm! Look who is smiling ear to ear this morning. Did he finally confess his feelings she whispered in my ear and winked?

Seriously, jade can be a bitch sometimes but I still love her

Well little miss nosy, there is no he neither is there a confession of feelings. Besides, who is the he you’re talking about? I asked

Excuse me, do you think I don’t know you’re crushing on Richard? Girl, your fish can’t hide from me, I will always catch you with my hook she said

Vena what is wrong with you? Just because I said he’s cute doesn’t mean I like him to want to date him. Stop imagining things vena, I said.

I know you like him She asked wiggling her eyebrow. You know I can actually help so you can have the Mr. cute to yourself.

Vena, you’re such a pain the ass. The bell rang and I rushed down to the assembly ground.

Jade, the bell won’t stop me from getting my answers you know

I smiled and shook my head. I wonder how your mum tolerated you in her womb for nine months, the assembly started before she could reply.

The assembly ended after the little announcements from our principal. We all rushed to our various classrooms to settle for the first subject. As I was moving to my seat, I bumped into someone. The person must be a guy because I hit my head on his hard chest.

Argh! I groan in pain,

Can’t you watch were you’re going? He asked with anger in his voice.

I looked up to see the angry bird talking still rubbing my forehead in pain.

Mr. Watcher, you also should answer the same question because if you were looking you wouldn’t have bumped into me. I snapped

Mr. Williams our math teacher walked in and I hurried to my seats. Good morning sir, we greeted.

Good morning he replied. Today, we will be talking about Algebra. The study of the use of letters or symbols to represent numbers is called Algebra. We already know that 4y means 4xy, note that this corresponds when y= 5 it means 4x5 and not 45

For example, if y=5 and x=3 solve 4y + 3x, note that your to substitute the numbers with the letters that is

4(5) + 3(3)

20 + 9 = 29

He went on and on with the lectures till it ended. The day was dragging by, I just can’t wait to get home and continue my birthday celebration.

The bell rang and I hurriedly packed my bags and rushed out of the class.

Hey! Birthday girl, vena called. Why are you in so much hurry?

Well little miss nosy, I have to a birthday celebration to continue

So, I’m I invited? She asked

I never had a friend to celebrate my birthday with, and since my parent has finally settled their differences, this is a new start for me.

Of course you’re invited, but it’s not a big celebration and you alone vena I said. We discussed about a lot of things and parted ways when we got to our junction.

See you later jade, vena said

Bye vena, I replied.

I got to the front door and noticed the door was not closed. I opened the door and saw the oldies cuddling in the sitting room.

Yikes! You two have a room you know, it won’t be nice if my friend see you in this position.

Is that how you greet two elderly people, my dad said?

Well, if the two elderly people were not so close to each other on the couch I would have said my greetings. I replied

Okay alright jade, you should go to your room and freshen up while I make something for your birthday, i hurried to my room to and freshened up. I thought about what happened this morning till this very moment. I was happy when I saw my parent holding each other lovingly and not trying to kill each other. I smiled, today is really a great day, I said. I went to the kitchen and helped my mum with the dinner.

Mum, my friend is coming over

Okay, a boy or girl mum asked

Mum!

What? At least I should know the person you’re inviting

It’s a girl mum, I replied.

Vena showed up before we started eating dinner. She looked beautiful as always and I’m happy she’s here.

Birthday girl, you look gorgeous she said.

You’re not looking bad either, I replied.

Mum, Dad, this is Vena my school mate and a friend.

Hello vena, my mum hugged her, and my dad shook hand with her.

Good evening, Vena greeted.

I've bee hearing you name in my head because my daughter won’t stop talking about you, my mum said.

I hope she’s not too troublesome, my dad said.

Hmm! Dad I’m not but vena is the definition of troublesome. Vena made a puppy dog face immediately I said that.

Is it bad that I care for my friend? Vena said in her crocodile tears voice.

My mum and dad laughed. Of course not darling, jade just can’t differentiate those words, my mum said

She smiled wiping the invisible tears on her face. Thanks mum she replied and winked at me.

This girl can be so dramatic I muttered to myself. The dinner went on and on with chats and laughter. Vena declared she wants wants to leave and said her goodbye.

It’s nice having you around, my dad said.

Hoping to see more of you, my mum added.

Of course mum, vena replied.

I followed vena outside the compound and appreciated her for showing up.

It nothing dearie, what are friends for she replied.

We hugged and said our goodbyes. I went back inside and saw that my mum already cleared the table. I just switched of the light and went to my room.


My family has always been happy after my birthday, we all go out on weekends, have a family chat and all. It’s so much joy for me to see my parent this happy. Where was this love hiding before? They were so in love that I was starting to get jealous.


 


Comments